IV Cannulation – Course duration ½ day
This course is designed for all RGN’s who have not conducted IV Cannulation for a while and are looking to update their theory and skill set.
The course provides the chance to practice the skill in a controlled environment. This is a hands-on training course and we encourage participation in all the practical demonstrations and activities. On successful completion students will be awarded a certificate of attendance and are required to gain competency under clinical supervision within their own workplace.
Please note: A competency framework is included in this training. Competency is achieved in the workplace following the training.
Each procedure needs to be signed off by a qualified, senior member of staff. The completed document can then be used to identify the individuals’ competence.
Skills and knowledge highlighted in this training include
- NMC code of conduct
- Patient identification and consent
- Legal and professional approach
- Basic universal precautions
- The vascular system (arteries, veins and valves)
- Reasons to cannulate
- The procedure (site selection, preparation, equipment, insertion, maintenance and removal)
- Calculating drip rates
- Infection control
- Potential complications
- Applied practical workstation and simulated practical assessment
- Ethical and legal responsibilities
- Competency framework and theory test
This course will be delivered by a variety of teaching methods including: presentations; whole group discussion; practical demonstration; practical exercise; video presentation.
This course runs for approximately three hours. (09.30-12.30)
• 1 Year
Book Training Now